Resources For Fieldwork Educators
USC Academic Fieldwork Team
Jaynee Taguchi-Meyer OTD, OTR/L
Academic Coordinator of Fieldwork Education (Adult Physical Rehabilitation)
Assistant Professor of Clinical Occupational Therapy
Phone: (323) 442-2857
Carey Sokol MA, OTR/L
Academic Coordinator of Fieldwork Education (Mental Health)
Instructor of Clinical Occupational Therapy
Phone: (323) 442-3550
Karen Park OTD, OTR/L, SWC, CLE
Academic Coordinator of Fieldwork Education (Pediatrics)
Adjunct Instructor of Clinical Occupational Therapy
Phone: (323) 442-1269
Joan Vartanian OTR/L
Fieldwork Contract and Prerequisite Administrator
Instructor of Clinical Occupational Therapy
Phone: (323) 442-1851
Jane Baumgarten, OTR/L
Academic Fieldwork Administrator
Phone: (323) 442-4824
Resources for Developing or Enhancing a Fieldwork Program from the American Occupational Therapy Association
Level I Fieldwork Description & Resources
Level I Fieldwork refers to practice experiences embedded in academic coursework and includes observation and beginning hands-on experience with clients under the supervision of a registered/licensed occupational therapist or other healthcare practitioner or professional. Level I fieldwork emphasizes the development of professional presence and skills and the beginning integration of didactic learning and practice experiences.
Level II Fieldwork Description & Resources
The Level II Fieldwork experience within the University of Southern California occupational therapy professional program is an integral part of the application of the conceptual model to occupational therapy practice situations. Level II fieldwork is when students organize previously learned basic knowledge and synthesizes and applies this knowledge to the Systems Model of the Human as an occupational being within the practice environment.
Additional Fieldwork Education Resources
General Fieldwork Experiences & Tips
- Herzberg, G. L. (1994). The successful fieldwork student: Supervisor perceptions. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 48, 817-823.
- Kramer, P. & Stern, K. (1995). Approaches to improving student performance on fieldwork. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 49, 156-159.
- Mickan, S. (1995). Students preparation for pediatric fieldwork. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 58, 239-243.
- Vogel, K. A., Grice, K. O., Hill, S., & Moody, J. (2004). Supervisor and student expectations of level II fieldwork. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 18, 5-19. doi:10.1300/J003v18n01_02
- Fischer, K. (2006, March 6). Professional behaviors as a foundation for fieldwork. OT Practice, 11, 10; 12. Link
- Coster, W., & Schwartz, L. (2004). Facilitating transfer of evidence-based practice into practice. Education Special Interest Section Quarterly, 14(2), 1-3. Link
- Crist, P. A. (1995, April 24). Students, it takes more than clinical skills to succeed. Advance for Occupational Therapists, 5.
- Kramer, P. (1993). Questions (but no answers) about clinical reasoning and student supervision. Education Special Interest Section Newsletter, 4, 6.
- Neistadt, M. E. (1996). Teaching strategies for the development of clinical reasoning. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 50, 676-684. doi:10.5014/ajot.50.8.676
- Rogers, J. C. (1982). Teaching clinical reasoning for practice in geriatrics. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 1, 29-37. doi:10.1080/J148V01N03_02
- Schwartz, K. B. (1991). Clinical reasoning and new ideas on intelligence: Implications for teaching and learning. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 45, 1033-1037.
- Stube, J. E., & Jedlicka, J. S. (2007). The acquisition and integration of evidence-based practice concepts by occupational therapy students. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 53-61. doi:10.5014/ajot.61.1.53
- Costa, D. (2008, November 3). Fieldwork tutorial. OT Practice, 11, 11;24. Link
- Everly, J. S., Poff, D. W., Lamport, N., Hamant, C., & Alvey, G. (1994). Perceived stressors and coping strategies of occupational therapy students. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 48, 1022-1028
- Gutman, S. A., McCreedy, P., & Heisler, P. (1998). Student level II fieldwork failure: Strategies for intervention. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 52, 143-149. doi:10.5014/ajot.52.2.143
- Kyler-Hutchison, P. (1994, October 13). Fear of Failure. OT Week, 256-257.
- Mitchell, M. M., & Kampfe, C. M. (1990). Coping strategies used by occupational therapy students during fieldwork: An exploratory study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 44, 543-550.
Resources for Transitioning from Fieldwork to Worker
- Crowe, M. J., & Mackenzie, L. (2002). The influence of fieldwork on the preferred future practice areas of final year occupational therapy students. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 49, 25-36. doi:10.1046/j.0045-0766.2001.00276.x
- Evenson, M. E. (2014). Fieldwork and professional entry. In B. A. B. Schell, G. Gillen, & M. E. Scaffa (Eds.), Willard & Spackman’s occupational therapy (12th ed.) (pp. 974-988). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Evenson, M. E. (2009). Fieldwork: The transition from student to professional. In E. B. Crepeau, E. S. Cohn, & B. A. B. Schell (Eds.), Willard & Spackman’s occupational therapy (11th ed.) (pp. 252-261). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mulholland, S., & Derdall, M. (2004). Exploring what employers seek when hiring occupational therapists. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71, 223-229. doi:10.1177/000841740407100407
- Tryssenaar, J., & Perkins, J. (2001). From student to therapist: Exploring the first year of practice. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 55, 19-27. doi:10.5014/ajot.55.1.19
Other Articles (AOTA Membership Required to Access)
- Hanson, D. (2013, August 26). Promoting student learning during level II fieldwork: What works? OT Practice, 18, 20-21. Link
- Petrozelle, D. R., & Iscrupe, R. (2013, July 22). Framework for fieldwork: Making the most of student–educator collaboration. OT Practice, 18, 16-20. Link
- DeIuliis, E. D. (2013, July 8). Answering questions about level I fieldwork. OT Practice, 18, 8-9. Link
- Johnson, C. R., & Fulmino, J. (2013, May 6). Preparing students for ethical practice, part two. OT Practice, 18, 7-8. Link