Prerequisites to Fieldwork
There are several prerequisite requirements that all entry-level USC OT students need to be fulfill prior to doing any level of fieldwork. As an entry-level OT student at USC, you are required to complete the following:
2. Bloodborne Pathogens Training
3. Learning Style Inventory. See “Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire”.
4. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA) certification
- Complete the University HIPAA Compliance Education module and have documentation of HIPAA competence. Read more about how to complete the HIPAA Online Education Program
- Access the HIPAA Online Education Program
5. Student Health Clearance to ensure current compliance for required immunizations and health history
- Please contact Student Health.
- Note: USC requires all OT students to be screened for tuberculosis once a year. More information is provided by USC Student Health Services
6. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification by the American Heart Association is required while you are in the program. The course students need to take is Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (commonly called “BLS for Healthcare Providers”). The certificate is valid for 2 years. All incoming students will be required to take this class in September of their first year. The cost to attend is currently $40.00. Currently the Division conducts 2 AHA courses each year in January and September. You will be notified of the time and date through the Division’s email listservs.
7. If required by the site, get fingerprinted, have a background check, and/or drug testing. Results should be sent directly to your fieldwork site.
- Fingerprinting can be completed through Live Scan fingerprinting services.
- Unless your site specifies a vendor, USC OT recommends CertifiedBackground.com. Ask your site first if they will accept CertifedBackground.com
- Go to CertifiedBackground.com and click on “Students”
- In the “package code” box, enter your appropriate code:
- Students needing BOTH Background Check and Drug Test: UA64
- Students needing ONLY Background Check: UA64BC
- Students needing ONLY Drug Test: UA64DT
- Click “Continue”
- Follow the prompts to complete the order. Once your order is submitted, you will receive a password via email to view your results. The results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours